I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, January 11, 2013

Protection and Preferences

From the Tarot of the Crone, the Seven of Wands:
To go further - I will light the match.
I will fan the flames.
With the seven yellow flames and the wall of "electrical" red fire all around, I hope that cloak that person is wearing is fire-proof.  The small flames at his feet represent those who disagree with his ideas, or perhaps those who would like to run things themselves.  The red fire that seems to surround him is the boundary he has constructed - a line in the sand so to speak.  I do think it is important to stand up for what I believe in and what I want to create in my life; I just need to make sure in my zeal to protect my beliefs and goals that I don't wall myself off from common sense too.

From the Transforming Dragons deck comes the dragon "Sxau:"
Trap: Possessive and Domineering
Treasure: Kindness and Humility
This dragon reminds me of a story a coach told once about joining the football team as a freshman at a southern university many years ago.  At the summer training camp after a long day of practice, the players sat down to a "family style" meal set out in bowls and platters on the table.  A huge, hulking senior sat next to the rookie.  The senior pulled a platter of fried chicken over, then licked his finger as he touched each piece saying, "This is mine, this is mine, and this is mine."  The hungry freshman looked at the chicken then licked his finger as he also touched each piece saying, "You can have it, you can have it, you can have it."  I must be aware that my "help" or input with a project or group might actually be a need to control.  Like the platter of fried chicken, I can ruin what might have been beneficial to others by trying to force my preferences on them.


No comments:

Post a Comment