I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, January 7, 2013

Pouring Out the Present

From the Tarot of the Crone, the Six of Cups:
Pouring the present
Into the past.
The words above are my own, not those of Lorenzi-Prince; when I saw this image, this thought was what came to me.  Unlike the Temperance card, where the flow goes both ways, here the water from the bowls goes into the larger receptacle.  I can spend many of my present moments living in the past.  Funny thing about when I do this though, I tend to remember the good and never the bad.  Yet in the present I can take a frustrating or painful five minutes and stretch it into a full day.  I think the past can be a useful learning tool, but I don't want to spend my life wishing things were the same as they were "back then."  I need to refill my bowl with the beauty and blessings I have around me now, because that is what will give me the strength to  deal with the struggles and challenges I face today.

From the Transforming Dragons deck comes the dragon "Suboc:"
Trap: Somber or Sarcastic
Treasure: Playful and Open-hearted
Suboc has two sides; either he thinks life is serious and you should act accordingly, or he is a cynic who constantly makes snarky, sarcastic remarks to prove how knowledgeable he is.  While I have my moments as a skeptic and naysayer, I tend to relate more to his stern and somber side.  This dragon reminds me that it is okay to laugh and play (in fact it is healthy) and to remember to make charitable assumptions about others who see things through a different lens than my own.  If I'm going to live in the present moment, it would help to have an attitude that makes me want to stay there.

No comments:

Post a Comment