I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, January 18, 2013

Chew Slowly

From the Hezicos Tarot, the Page of Coins:
There's a lot of difference between this young man and the court card I drew a few days ago.  This fellow wears no helmet, only a simple headband; the top of his head is bare because as a student, he is open-minded and loves to learn.  Check out the size of his earring compared to the size of the coin around his neck.  No one will have to tell him to take the cotton out of his ears and stuff it in his mouth.  He knows listening is a big part of gaining knowledge.  But when he does speak, it's usually to ask a question like "What is this information good for?  How can you put it to practical use?"  He's sure to test out whatever he's been told; as the coin on his headband symbolizes, he believes knowledge is useful only when it has a sensible function. 

From the Way of the Horse deck comes "Authentic Power:"
The message of this card is in learning to "tap potential without taxing it."  I know when I am in that phase of learning something new, I find myself wanting to impulsively buy and accumulate stuff that has anything to do with what I am studying.  I want to connect with people who are dishing out what I think I need to know.  Certainly there is potential here to tap, but the Page of Coins above reminds me to be practical.  If there is wisdom worthy of my time and resources, I should take small bites, chew slowly and digest each piece instead of trying to absorb it in one large gulp.  


1 comment: