I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, December 10, 2012

Inclusive or Exclusive

From the Gill Tarot, the Seven of Swords:
My first reaction when I drew this card was one of uncertainty - are those real swords?  Some of them look very bendy like they're made of rubber, and the diagonal lines on some remind me of feathers.  Sevens offer a chance to assess our options.  With this Seven of Swords, the framework of my perception changes everything.  Do I look at things from a selfish, self-centered perspective (How will this affect me?  Will I get what I want?)?  Or do I look from a wide, holistic perspective (How will this affect everyone?  Will it benefit all or just a few?)?  When I'm only looking out for my interests is when I feel the sharp points.  As Shantideva put it:
“Whatever joy there is in the world
Arises from wishing for others' happiness.
Whatever suffering there is in the world
Arises from wishing for your own happiness.”

From The Circle deck comes "Direction:"
Maybe I'm influenced too much by logic, but when it comes to a spiritual path (or any other path for that matter) I have a hard time just "going with the flow."  I feel like I need tools and a map to head in a certain direction or toward a specific goal.  I don't mean direction that is rigid or inflexible, but one that guides and gives direction.  Some structure can give me feedback to test the path I'm on and assess it for whether it is an authentic one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment