I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, October 15, 2012

Devotion

From the Alchemical Renewed Tarot, the Three of Coins:
Place gives this card the title of "Artist," representing someone who has acquired skills and knowledge enough to be recognized for his talent.  This January I will have completed a year in my nature journal - writing and drawing what I observe on my daily walks.  While my notes are just basically what I see - flowers, trees, bugs, birds, changes of the seasons, etc. - my drawings have progressed from rudimentary to more recognizable as I practice each day.  I'm learning to see and draw with the right side of my brain, and I'm learning to overlay several shades of colored pencils to find the right color.  I'm not an artist by any stretch of the imagination, but my persistence is paying off in the development of my sketches.

From the Oracle of the Radiant Sun comes "Devotion:"
Saturn (ambition) in Libra (sense of justice and beauty)
It seems sweet but sad that this dove will not leave his dead mate.  How long will he wait, thinking that what has happened might somehow be reversed?  Does he think that his unwavering dedication will make a difference?  I had a quote in my email from tut.com this morning that said, "happiness that's not present at the start of the journey will not be present at its end." If I'm not enjoying or finding some fulfillment in a task that I persevere in doing, my devotion will not magically make me eventually enjoy it.  Thankfully I do take pleasure in my walks and drawing, but I've been known to stick it out with other things that made me miserable.  Commitment is not always a a good trait depending on what the object of my devotion is...

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your daily walks and journaling, soulsis! Your dedication is to be commended. Mine has been an epic "fail". I'd love to see some more of that lovely artwork of yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can't hold a candle to yours, my talented friend! But considering I started from nearly stick figures, there is a definite improvement, lol!

      Delete