I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cracking Books and Eggs

From the Tarot of the Absurd, the Page of Coins:
This image made me smile, because this young student surrounded by stacks of books lives inside of me.  Everywhere I roost in the house, there are a few volumes nearby.  At the computer desk are three different translations of the Tao Te Ching and a Peterson guide on Eastern birds.  In the den, next to my spot on the couch, sits a copy of the Bhagavad Gita, Integral Christianity (for the book club), and a book on trees.  My bedside table is overflowing, but on the very top is The Trail Home by John Daniel and Tying Rocks to Clouds by William Elliot.  And nonfiction is not the only thing I read - fictional mind candy is one of my greatest escapes, especially if it is full of humor, such as Terry Prachett's books.  But half the fun of reading is discussing the books I've read with others, comparing notes, and finding out what they took away from what they read.  Literacy is one of the greatest blessings ever...

From the Post-psychedelic Cyberpunk comes "the Egg:"
Falkov explains the egg as a symbol of our present reality with the possibility to expand into a new one.  She writes that any person can experience this when they discover something new - "a little bit of light shines through, and then a whole new world is revealed, leaving behind the shell remnants of the old."  Perhaps this explains my fondness for reading; each book gives me a glimpse of something that makes me want to go out and experience it for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment