I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Reason for a Party

From the Anna K. Tarot, the Ten of Pentacles:
In this image, three generations get ready for a celebration with friends and family.  I had a friend in college whose motto was, "There's always some reason to have a party!"  As I look back at yesterday's card (the Five of Pentacles) and compare it to today's, I am reminded how quickly life changes.  I've not felt much joy lately, but that has mostly been my own fault; I have consistently focused all my attention on what is wrong in my life instead of what is good.  I need to take the advice from that old friend, and look at the many blessings I have to celebrate.  Life is good, if I'll take the time to notice.

From the Green Man Tarot comes the "Hawthorn:"
Challenge opens the way.
Here in the South, we have a native hawthorn, the "mayhaw."  Many people use its fruit to make delicious mayhaw jelly, but it also has some incredibly sharp thorns that fruit pickers need to be mindful of.  This shrub mimics life, with its sweetness of joyful times and sharpness of the painful ones.  However the hawthorn is also known for the medicinal value of its berries, which have been shown to reduce blood pressure and help with chronic heart problems.  I find that most of the challenges in life are challenges of the heart - how to heal its pain and overcome its fears.  But even here this plant reminds me - reach with your roots and stay grounded in reality while reaching out with your arms to embrace those who will love and support you.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment