I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tied to the Whipping Post

From the Vision Quest, Torment (the Devil):
Sometimes I feel
Like I've been tied
To the whipping post
Tied to the whipping post
Tied to the whipping post
Good lord I feel like I'm dyin'

~ Gregg Allman
Allman's song and this image remind me that my need to escape fear and find security can sometimes bind me to something or someone even worse.  I can just hear this fellow's rationalization now: "No, I don't have much range of motion, but this post feels very secure and grounded."  I've hidden in dark holes before where no light comes, conning myself into believing I was "safe."  But I missed out on all the joys and laughter in that dark place too; now I don't want to trade all that away for the illusion ever again.

From the Bird Cards this morning comes the "Phoenix:"
The puzzle pieces of one landscape fall away to reveal a new scene underneath, just as the mythical phoenix rises from the ashes.  My life often has subtle shifts, so imperceptible I rarely notice them.  Then there are those moments of change that feel like a major earthquake.  What I counted on for support and stability is destroyed in the process; I can choose to transform myself like this bird, or curl into the fetal position and play the part of the victim.  Going through change sucks, but at least this option will keep me from being stuck in a place of eternal despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment