I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Negative Mindloops

This week I'll be using the Vision Quest Tarot, created by Gayan Silvie Winter and Jo Dose.  This morning's draw is the Ten of Air (Swords):
These birds remind me of the turkey vultures we have here in the South.  Flocks of them are often seen around road kill or circling over a field where there is a dead livestock animal.  Being scavengers, they eat carrion as their primary food source.  Looking at this card, I kept hearing the phrase "dead is dead."  Whatever ideas or beliefs about something I've held on to, there is no life in them.  Nothing will ever grow from them.  Best to let them disintegrate and allow something living and beneficial to take their place.

The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the Bird Cards by Jane Toerien and Joyce Van Dobben.  Today's draw is "Duck:"
The creators of this set describe how a group of ducks will often squabble and peck each other.  In this card, a second uncolored duck is seen, gazing malevolently toward the mallard on the pond.  It represents that inner critic that unceasingly badgers us with our faults and shortcomings.  Duck reminds me to be aware of the inner dialogue and avoid being so hard on myself.  If I could step outside myself and objectively look at my life (as if it were someone else), I'm sure I could find plenty of good there too.

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading a book I'll recommend when I have it in hand.

    If you haven't figured out how to transfer your old blog posts how about I call sometime next week and we'll walk through it together? Two semi-functioning brains must be better than none?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vision Quest is a lovely deck. I like your phrase 'dead is dead'. It was a useful reminder to me this morning not to go over old ground and attempt to breathe life into something which is past its time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vision Quest is one of those decks I often forget about, but when I pull it out to use it, it's always an unexpected pleasure!

      Delete