I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Digging In

From the Cosmic Tarot, the Hermit:
CTHermit
Being a grown-up on the spiritual plane means no longer playing small. We drop our superficiality and pettiness, get over our wounds, realize our fears and insecurities, abandon notions of entitlement and lose our enchantment with cheap drama. No more games, passive-aggressive behavior, attacking or power obsession. We're simply just done with it. We cut the crap. We get our heads out of the spiritual books we've read for years and go out and live what is in them. We get our hands dirty and do for others, yet never with a sense that we are special for doing so. ~ Suzanne Matthiessen
I generally see the Hermit as both a student and a teacher.  He sets aside time alone for contemplation and spiritual self-evaluation.  In this card, he sits in a yoga position - a spinal twist - that helps increase flexibility.  This posture hints that I need to be less rigid in my opinions, and be able to look at my own behavior and attitudes with objectivity and honesty.  The light from the star above makes a line of connection to the sun rising and the Hermit's lantern, reminding me (as in the Matthiessen quote above) that heady spiritual knowledge is worthless if I don't put it to practical use in the world.

     From the L'Oeil de Lotus comes "Summer:"
LL13
Here in the Deep South, summer is the time of abundant growth, and this image asks me what I am growing in my life.  Is it compassion, honesty, and open-mindedness, or intolerance, rationalization and arrogance?  The large tree offers shade from the hot sun - help freely given to whomever passes this way.  The land around the tree looks parched, and I am reminded that just because I am having a rough go of things doesn't excuse me from neglecting my spiritual growth or actions.  In fact, that's the time I should dig in with even more effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment