I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Enticements

From the Tarot of the Masters, the High Priest (Hierophant):
An elderly priest offers blessings and hands off a paper of doctrinal authority.  When I was much younger, I had a button that read "Question Authority" (and although the counter-culture would like to take credit for it, Ben Franklin said it first).  Don't get me wrong, I think there is wisdom to be found from elders, traditional teachers, and from sacred writings, but I don't intend to swallow one spoonful without looking at it carefully.  Just because the term "spiritual" or a religious label is used doesn't mean that there's not a human agenda behind it.  In fact, there usually is.

     From the Key to the Kingdom comes the Ace of Clubs:

Bat, bat, come under my hat, and I'll give you a slice of bacon;
And when I bake, I'll give you a cake, If I am not mistaken.
This verse prompts me to be aware of how others can entice me into a relationship or situation that is not going to be in my best interests.  These groups or people know how to use fear: "You don't won't to burn in hell forever do you?" "I can promise you that you'll never have to worry about financial security again."  Their sincerity seems genuine, but like buying a car, it's best to check under the hood first.

No comments:

Post a Comment