I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, July 14, 2012

"E" is for Effort

    This week I'll be using the Tarot of Dreams by Ciro Marchetti.  Today's draw is the Nine of Wands:
Someone give this guy a nudge and tell him to "Wake up!"  I do understand how he feels; he's put in a lot of effort to get to the goal, but the challenges just keep coming.  I've been on a health regimen for the past few months - walking six days a week and counting calories.  And though I've been very disciplined about it all, I think I'm only losing about 1/4 pound a month.  There are days when I feel like this guy, and think, "What's the use?"  But like the wands behind this fellow, I can look back and see that even though the weight is not coming off as fast as I would like, I do feel better physically and feel better about myself for making the effort.  No, I won't give up, but I do occasionally need to look at the progress I've made to encourage me to stay in the game.

     The oracle deck I'll be using this week is called MentorSpirit by Kathy Tyler and Joy Drake.  It uses color and fractals, combined with one keyword, so I'll be playing it off my tarot card draw for the day.  This morning's draw is "Release:"
What is it I need to release?  I need to let go of my expectations for one thing.  If I am going to get fit and healthy, it's going to require that four letter word: time.  And even though the weight is coming off slower than a snail's pace, at least I'm heading in the right direction.  I also need to release those "shoulds" that keep hounding me - "You should exercise more.  You should eat less."  I know that I'm doing all I can right now, and that if I crank things up any more I'll probably not keep it going.  I'd prefer to enjoy life while I'm doing this, not suffer through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment