I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Where's Your Head?

From the Druidcraft Tarot, the Eight of Pentacles:
At first glance, this guy's job seems pretty easy - like sticking Playdoh in the "Fun Factory" and squeezing out a specific shape.  But this fellow had to carve the mold, mix the metals in the right combination, melt them at just the right temperature, carefully pour it in, allow it to set, then sand and polish each one.  The companion book states that "steady progress and attention to detail is indicated," and instead of focusing on the end result, we should "concentrate on each step at a time."  To skillfully master anything, I need to concentrate on the task at hand rather than allowing my attention to be diverted by too many irons in the fire.  I'm convinced that the result of society pushing us to multi-task in so many areas is why we produce (and live) at a lesser quality level.

     From the Druid Plant Oracle, "Mint:"
Though mint is often used today to settle a stomach upset, in Rome Pliny recommended that students wear a wreath of mint since it was thought to "exhilarate their minds."  The minty fresh fragrance of this herb is an attention-getter, and so the Carr-Gomms use the keywords of clarity and concentration to indicate its lessons.  This plant reminds me not to become distracted, but instead to keep my focus on my work or what is currently happening in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment