I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Weapons of Manipulation

  From the Norse Tarot, the World:
Barrett uses the image of Balder, the Norse god of light, joy, purity, beauty, innocence, and reconciliation, for this card.  Balder was well loved by humans and gods alike, but was killed by Loki's (the Norse trickster) wily ways.  Here Balder has been reborn, and this time he appears without weapons - his spear, sword, and dagger are gone.  The appearance of Balder in this form reminds me that when I walk in balance and wholeness, I won't need to have a sharp tongue, strategies of revenge, or manipulation in my arsenal.  I'll understand that there is a better way to handle things...

     From the Wolf Pack, "Control:"
One wolf asserts its power over another, who assumes a submissive posture.  Petro's interpretation of this card is to be wary of those who try to control you.  I have no problem with aggressive, "in-your-face" people who try to bend me to their will.  They instantly raise my hackles, and my instincts are to do the opposite of what they demand.  My dilemma comes with folks who are manipulative, who use my love and care of them to shame or guilt me into doing something I would ordinarily refuse to do.  Yet it is ultimately my choice - submit or stand up for myself; I can't blame them for any promises I willingly make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment