I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, April 27, 2012

Express Yourself

From the Norse Tarot, the Empress:
Freya, twin sister of Frey from yesterday's draw, was the Norse goddess of love, fertility and beauty and the patron of crops and birth.  The cat who sits at her feet is in reference to the two felines who pulled her chariot (quite a feat to get a cat to do anything!); the swallow was a sign of spring and thus sacred to her.  She carries her shield on her back, leaving her heart vulnerable but also open to love.  I've watched two Canada geese nest at the holding pond near my house for the past month.  They stuck it out through all the destruction, construction and noise a Baptist church wrought on their habitat in order to build a parking lot.  But I was cheered to see the geese bring out four fluffy goslings the other day and watched with happiness as they swam close to their parents.  Unfortunately, the goslings lasted only a few days - a red-shouldered hawk made quick work of them.  Though it broke my heart to see them killed, I know that this too is a part of the natural cycle of life.  Barrett's portrayal of the Empress reminds me that to have a heart open to love requires great strength and the willingness deal with the emotional pain that might come as a result.

     From the Wolf Pack, "Happiness:"
It's been a long while since I ran or did cartwheels just for the sheer joy of it, but this card reminds me that physically expressing my emotions can bring a sense of fulfillment and gratitude.  Of course I have been known to dance and twirl when no one was watching...

No comments:

Post a Comment