I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Charity and Compassion

This week I'll be using the Llewellyn Tarot, created by Anna-Marie Ferguson.  Today's card is the Six of Pentacles:
A woman, who doesn't look exceptionally wealthy, stops to give money to a woman and child who are selling flowers.  This image made me think of a remark a woman from my book club made: "Lower-income Americans give proportionally more of their income to charity than do upper-income Americans."  Of course I had to verify this on my own, and was surprised to find she was correct (see http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/magazine/22FOB-wwln-t.html).  Basically, studies have shown that people with less money were more attuned to the needs of others and more committed to the values of egalitarianism.  The wealthy, on the other hand, prioritized their own needs without much empathy for others.  Food for thought as we Americans draw closer to another presidential election.

     The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the Beasts of Albion, created by Miranda Gray.  Today's draw is the "Dolphin:"
This dolphin, with its overflowing chalice, teaches the lessons of empathy, compassion, and helpfulness.  I have heard people excuse their behavior by saying, "I can't help it.  That's just my personality."  Now I believe if we can learn to ride a bike or use a computer, we can learn to do change our character traits as well.  But we only learn by doing.  If I want to develop into a more loving and giving person, I practice those actions until they become second-nature.  Forget the justifications and explanations please...

No comments:

Post a Comment