I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Seeing Beyond Expectations

    The card pulled this morning from the Tarot of Durer is the Three of Cups:
My life is routine in so many ways - I go to the same places nearly every week, I drive the same roads to those places, I speak to the same people.  It has become so habitual that I seldom look beyond the surface of what I expect to see.  This man has walked past this tree for years, completely missing the cups in its branches.  But something has made him pause and look closer, and for this he is rewarded, as the dove assists in bringing the cups down to him.  I have recently started using a technique taught by the folks at Kamana.org called the "Sit Spot."  I spend 20 minutes a day in a place outdoors using all my senses to pay attention and be aware of all around me.  I can't begin to describe how fulfilling this experience is, and how peaceful and centered it makes me.  Like the man above, I feel as if I've found a treasure that was hidden in plain sight.  For more information on finding a "Sit Spot," see:  http://kamana.org/lessons/video/finding-a-sit-spot-video/

     From the Philosopher's Stone deck today, I chose the card "Secret:"
A solid stone man talks to another stone man made of hundreds of pebbles.  I often compare my insides to other people's outsides, and come to the conclusion that we are very different and have little in common.  Only when I take the time to listen will I uncover the myriad of life experiences a person has had, and the underlying beliefs and feelings that are a result of those events.  If I judge a book by its cover, I may never discover the interesting stories in its pages.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment