I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Walking Among Flames

From the Margarete Peterson Tarot today comes the Nine of Flames (Wands):
A figure can be seen crouching in the front corner of this card with fiery colors all around it.  When I pulled this card in the dim light of the early hours, I thought the white and yellow area was a figure of Avalokiteśvara (Kwan Yin), the bodhisattva of compassion.  Bodhisattva can be translated as "wisdom-being" or "awareness-being."  Peterson sees this card as showing an evolution in maturity - though it is still hidden, it can be felt.  There is wisdom and maturity in being able to walk the middle path between aggression and passiveness, destruction and creation.  If I light the fire, I must learn to watch it carefully, contain it, and direct it.

     The card drawn from the Froud's Heart of Faerie Oracle today is the Prince of Shadows:
Here is the beautiful and exciting bad boy that everyone seems to be draw to like a moth to a flame.  The handsome outer appearance and charm hide the fact that there is no heart underneath.  He represents all that I am drawn to when I am ungrounded and need reassurance.  But what seems like a quick fix will ultimately plant a poisonous seed within, destroying me from the inside out.  Addictions, risky behaviors, or unhealthy relationships can grow from this seed and lead me down a dangerous road.  Don't judge a book by its cover, but by the healing or venom it produces.

No comments:

Post a Comment